On 31st January 2020, the WHO has declared the Novel Coronavirus a Global Emergency. The Novel Coronavirus outbreak began in Wuhan City, Hubei Province of China just as 2019 was coming to an end. It did not match any of the previously known viruses making it a huge cause of concern among the world health authorities. The virus has no confirmed cases in Ireland yet but it is important to understand everything about it and undertake the right preventive measures.
nCOV: Novel Coronavirus
This new virus belongs to a family of viruses that previously include SARS(Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) and MERS(Middle East Respiratory Syndrome). The coronavirus transmission is zoonotic in nature making it transmittable from animals and humans. The original virus is believed to have originated from a wet-market in Wuhan which probably contained the infected animals.
The most interesting thing about this virus is that the incubation period is still unknown and people could be infected by it without displaying actual symptoms initially, this increases the chances of human to human transmission exponentially. According to the WHO the following are the observed symptoms of the Coronavirus.
The observed signs of the infection are:
- Cough and chest congestion
- Shortness of breath
- Breathing difficulties
In more severe situations the virus is known to cause:
- Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome
- Kidney Failure
The population that is at risk of coming in contact with this virus are as follows:
- People who have travelled to China especially Wuhan recently.
- People who commute on busy public transportation.
- Individuals who come in contact with people affected by the virus.
- People working in crowded areas such as offices, factories etc.
Coronavirus Prevention Methods
According to the WHO, there is currently no available vaccine to combat nCOV infection. The most effective method of prevention is to avoid being exposed to the virus. Apart from that, it is important to follow regular preventive methods in ones daily routine.
- Proper handwashing with soap and water for at least 30 seconds.
- Use of alcohol-based sanitiser.
- Refrain from touching eyes, nose, mouth or any other part of the face with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who display flu-like symptoms.
- Properly cover your face when sneezing.
- Disinfect frequently touched objects.
- Wear a face mask when travelling to busy areas.
How Can Your Business Protect Itself From The Coronavirus
It is important for businesses to ensure that their employees are safe and healthy, this can be achieved by providing them access to proper hygiene services in the workplace. Initial Hygiene offers a range of products specifically designed for businesses to meet their hygiene needs. This will help in protecting your business from infectious radicals and reducing the chances of contracting coronavirus.
The Following Initial products are everything your business needs to stay safe from this outbreak:
- Hand Hygiene: UltraProtect by Initial kills 99.9% of germs including Swine Flu (H1N1), MRSA and E-coli.
- Hand Dryers: Wet hands are a magnet for attracting bacteria, hand drying is essential to improve hygiene standards.
- Toilet and Urinal Hygiene: Maintaining proper toilet hygiene will prevent the spread of diseases.
- Waste Bins: Proper disposal of used and infected articles will minimise the chances of infection.
Get in touch with Initial Hygiene NOW and learn more about what we can do to help your business prevent coronavirus at your workplace.