Why is hand hygiene so important? Harmful germs and bacteria surround us constantly, they are everywhere we go, in everything we touch and they get active especially during the winter months. That is why we have cases of Flu rampant as the temperature goes down. One of the most common ways for the transfer of these bacteria is through our hands.
Our hands constantly come in contact with different things throughout the day and some of these things will transmit dirt, germs & bacteria onto our hands. Simple handwashing with an alcohol-based hand wash or soap and water is the simplest and easiest way to prevent you from getting sick.
Recently Initial Hygiene, Ireland’s leading hygiene experts conducted a survey focusing on the handwashing habits of Irish people. Nearly 50% of the people admitted that they do not use soap when washing hands. Furthermore, most of the respondents admitted that they do not wash their hands regularly before every meal.
These results are alarming because we are now approaching the time of the year where flu cases are at its peak and cross-contamination is one of the easiest ways for the transfer of infectious diseases. According to the WHO report on Food Safety, almost 1 in 10 people in the world fall ill after eating contaminated food.
You would think that practice as innocuous as hand washing is not something that will make a huge difference in your daily wellbeing. On the contrary, following proper hand hygiene practices can prevent the spread of harmful bacteria & save you a lot of trouble in the long run.
So you would ask yourself “If washing hands is so easy & effective then everyone must be doing it” right? Well, you are in for a surprise according to the complete results of the survey.
Initial Survey Results
The results yielded shocking revelations regarding hand-washing trends In Ireland
- 92% of respondents admitted to only washing their hands ‘sometimes’ before meals
- 86% of respondents admitted to only washing their hands ‘sometimes’ before preparing food
- 49% of respondents listed not using soap as their preferred method of handwashing
- The most popular reasons people gave for not washing their hands were: because of hygiene issues in the restroom (46%); because they were in a hurry (24%); and because of insufficient washroom facilities (24%).
Diseases like the Flu, E.coli etc. are all transferable from cross-contamination. Having clean hands before every meal is important for improved wellbeing and the well being of others around you.
But it’s still not too late to take your health care seriously and implement proper practices in your daily routine. This Global Handwashing Day 2019 month Initial Hygiene has provided us with expert handwashing tips for complete hand hygiene:
- Wash hands at least six times a day, in particular before every meal and after using the bathroom
- Always use soap and warm water when washing your hands.
- Always spend over 20 seconds minimum when washing your hands, to ensure they’re cleaned thoroughly (this is the amount of time it takes to sing ‘Happy Birthday’ twice)
- Wash thoroughly, ensuring that every part of the hand is included.
- Dry thoroughly with a clean towel or with a dryer afterwards.
How Businesses Protect Its Reputation
Since business workplaces have to constantly come in contact with different people regularly, the probability of transferring bacteria & spread of infection is very high. To ensure the safety and wellbeing of its employees and customers, businesses must follow proper sanitation and hygiene protocols as a daily practice.
Initial offers a range of hygiene products that are perfect for any business that wants to improve their hygiene situation and make their workplace a safe and healthy environment.
Need help with your businesses hygiene needs? Contact Initial experts today for a free survey and advice.